Business Phone Call Etiquette
It is important that calls are made in a professional manner. Here at TCN we have auto dialer systems for sale. If you buy the best auto dialer system there is still no guarantee that you will be successful over the phone. Your callers need to be trained in phone etiquette and handle themselves appropriately. Here are some good tips for your callers.
- Smile while talking on the phone. Smiling helps you use more inflection and a cheerful tone as you talk on the phone.
- Speak clearly. Always go out of your way to speak as clearly as possible on the phone. Try not to be too formal but never use slang.
- Say numbers correctly. It is easier to understand numbers over the phone if they are read individually. For example never say twenty ten. Instead say two zero one zero. Make sure that you do not say ‘oh’ in place of zero.
- Memorize the phonetic alphabet and use it.
- It is better to return a call than to keep a caller on hold for too long. No one likes to be on hold.
- Never interrupt a caller when they are speaking. Even if they are rambling you must let them finish.
- Never engage in an argument with a caller. Return with professionalism even when you are given hostility. If you cannot bear it any longer do not hang up, ask if you can transfer the caller to a manager or supervisor.
- If a callback is necessary always ask for the best number and time to reach the customer. Do not assume that the number you’ve reached them on the first time will work.
- Never call before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- Always identify yourself. Hiding your identity will not do you any favors in sales or surveying.
Not all of these tips will apply to your business, but I recommend implementing those that do. A good call team is an evolving unit. As the market evolves so must phone agents adapt to the market. Professionalism goes a long way and opens many doors.